Monday, January 28, 2008

The UKY Wide World of Wikis....

Part 1: The Thrill of Victory

Wikis--whew! Who would have thought that 'wiki wiki' means something really fast in Hawaiian? (I like vocabulary and etymology!)

I looked at some of the articles that explained what they are and some of their uses. I've also looked at some of the wikis that are used by various libraries. Of the wikis I looked at, I liked librariansarah's wiki the best because that wiki looked more like a wiki that I would actually use, especially with my part time job.

I can see some uses for wikis...being able to post files and links is a nice feature, although many of those features are available in Blackboard. The nice thing about the wiki, though, is that it is open to everybody while Blackboard is restricted to people who are registered in the class. I'm not sure how I feel about wikis, since I'm new at this. Time will tell if wiki is a tool that I'll use consistently or not.

Part 2: The Agony of Defeat? (this was actually a sucessful venture, but the title sounds kind of catchy...)

I've finally set up a 'wiki', after a few false starts. I'm a UK Wellness Advocate and one way we contribute to the Health and Wellness program is by helping to publicize the offerings of the Wellness. I set up a wellness wiki to kill 2 birds with one stone! Here it is: http://ukwellness.pbwiki.com/

1 comment:

Stacey Greenwell said...

Great idea for a wiki! Nice work.